What are rich snippets?
Rich Snippets is the phrase used to describe structured data markup that website operators can add to their existing HTML, which allow search engines to better understand what information is contained on each web page. It is the additional piece of information which upgrade your search listing, making it more engaging for users to click and easier for search engines to extract information.
Benefits of rich snippets:
- Grab user’s attention to your search result
- Providing instant information as related to their query
- Increase click through rates (CTR) and less the bounce rate
What Content Types Are Supported?
There are three different markup specifications currently recognised by the major search engines:
Rich Snippets, or structured data markup, can be used on the following content types:
- Authors: author photo, name and link to more articles
- Restaurants: average review, the number of stars, and price range
- People (well known): phone number and photos
- Products: ratings, picture and price range
- Business & organisation: location and customer review
- Recipes: photo, recipe rating, and time required
- Events: event date, location and time
- Music: lyrics and a link to play the song
- Video content: video image
Conclusion: Rich snippets will help you to get more organic visibility and increase your organic CTR and lesser your website bounce rate.